Happy New Year!
As 2017 comes to an end, I want to say thank you to Linda, Pat, Adam, and Mindy for serving on the Eugene MQG Board this year. This year brought a new and improved location for our meetings, a great fundraising event in June and a fabulous December Holiday party. Thank you for all you have done for our guild!!
Friday, December 29, 2017
Eugene MQG Traveling Quilt Bee 2018
Instructions: you will need to use quilt shop fabrics!
This will be your favorite bee ever! It will stretch your thinking, strengthen your skills and try your abilities. Please follow the rules and HAVE FUN!
1. You will start your own quilt. The size of your medallion should be 16-20 inches tall/wide. It does not have to be square. Be sure to use the style/colors you want used in your quilt as this will be a jumping off point for the other bee members.
2. You will need to choose a theme for your quilt. It can be as detailed or as vague as you want. Some examples I have come across are: geeked out, fairy tales, rainbow, triangles, stars, some of my favorite things, etc...
You will also need to choose colors for your quilt. Again, be as detailed or as vague as you'd like.
The more specific you are the more likely you will be to end up with something you really love. But if you want to be vague, that's great. You can also include fabric to be used in your quilt.
3. For those of you that know what a round robin bee is, this is not that. Please do not add to all sides of the quilt. Choose only one or two sides to add to. Pay attention to how much you are adding. If the quilt is 34 inches on the side you choose to add to, then you'll need to add 34 inches. Do not make a 12 inch block and assume that someone else will fill in the rest. Do not make any of the quilts super long and skinny. We want these to be usable.
4. You will need to find a journal/notebook/binder. Something to use to document your quilt. This will travel with the quilt. Include your color choices. You can add swatches of fabric as well. Also describe your theme. As you get each quilt each month, please include small fabric swatches you use, designs you make/use, anything about what you added and include a few sentences about yourself in each one. This will make the quilts that much more special.
5. As you fill out the form please, please be honest! Remember that the answers you give will determine the quilt you get in the end.
6.. Bee Time Table:
- January Meeting (January 10, 2018): Bring your medallion, questionnaire, journal, fabric(optional), and quilt label in a large ziploc bag.
- Round 1 (February 14th) Your added side(s) to the medallion you received in January, along with all the goodies in the ziploc bag.
- Round 2-8: Bring to monthly meetings
- October 10, 2018: Return completed quilt top to owner
- December 12, 2018: Share completed quilts
7. If at any time you are unable to come to a guild meeting, please make arrangements to have the quilt bag at the meeting. You can either send it with someone else, or call/email Nela to figure out a plan.
Eugene MQG Traveling Quilt Bee 2018 Questionnaire
Due: January 10, 2018 (Along with your medallion, quilt label and journal in a giant ziploc bag)
What colors, designers, themes and patterns would you like to see in your quilt? (Example: Red, white and blue quilt with star blocks... Or Rainbow colors with traditional blocks. Be as vague or specific as you'd like to be)
What style of quilting do you like? (Example: paper piecing, applique, improv…)
List anything you absolutely do not want in your quilt (colors, designers, patterns, etc) For example I do not want Civil War Era fabrics in my quilt or I do not want "little kid" fabric or I absolutely do not like brown.
If you have any questions please email Nela (firstname.lastname@example.org)